Breuer completed more than sixty houses over a period of some forty years. Three of these residential projects are in Princeton: The Lauck House (1953) and the Member Housing at the Institute For Advanced Study (1954-1957). The Lauck House, also referred to as ‘House in the Garden’ for its conceptual and historical likeness to the prototype in the MoMA exhibition, was recently restored and renovated by its new owners; architects Rafi and Sara Segal. (The Museum mounted a variant of the House in the Garden exhibition in 2008 called “Home Delivery: Fabricating the Modern Dwelling” which you can see on the MoMA website)
New modern houses are generating a buzz around town. Here are two that are worth knowing. The first is a duplex on Quarry Street designed and built by local architect J. Robert Hillier. Widely published in the architectural journals, this double dwelling is a sleek pairing of a Tiffany-blue box with a taught ribbedmetallic box as an abstract reinterpretation of the residential typology.
The luminous exterior, punctuated with big window openings and skylights, encloses a sunlit-washed two story living space with proportions that echo those of an urban loft. Here architecture recedes to a role of dramatic backdrop rather than being a prescriptive living arrangement.
The second house occupies a lovely wooded site in Princeton Township. Local architect Phil Holt designed a modern family residence that provides for trikes, pets and foosball in an environment with grown-up sophistication.